Saturday 24 May 2014

Freezer Lucky Dips.



I am not a domestic goddess. I don't want to be one nor do I think I have it in me to pretend to be one even for a little while. So all things domestic get done randomly and on a whim at the big house.

A while back I got it into my head that it was time to empty out the freezer, and no I don't mean that it was time to chuck stuff out, but that it was time to graze through all the unidentified and unidentifiable stuff in it before spending cash to fill it up again. My girlfriend Carol, names and dates all of her freezer entries so she never gets to play the joyful game of icy cold lucky dip.

There is something a bit exciting and just a little scary about pulling out some frozen lump and deciding that it will make a good dinner, even if you are not really sure what  it is.

So we are down to the last couple of bits and todays lump turned out to be a chunk of pork. As you run the very real risk of meals being anything but interesting in such instances, I decided to tart it up with some recipe style cooking.

Nigela I am NOT, so I googled some recipes and wrote down a long list of ingredients but no instructions or any idea of amounts. I didn't want to bore myself stupid by following a recipe after all.

I got the stuff and it is all in the oven slow cooking now and I hope that it tastes as good as it smells. I still have time to bugger it up but so far so good.

There's a couple of bits of steak which will be Steve's job during the week and a sheet or 2  of pastry, so I might be forced to make a pie out of the left overs from tonight's dinner.... In that case I really hope it's ok!

With any luck at all the urge to dust will hit sometime in the next month or so, or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment