Wednesday 1 October 2014

Grown Up Jobs.



There are definitely some very fun 'jobs' that come with age.

At the ripe old age of 10 Zig will be allowed to sit in the front seat of the car, so long as he wears his seat belt of course, and I am not sure what age children are allowed to stay at home unsupervised, but let's imagine that it's 14, although why we would reckon the government would err on the side of caution in this but allows a 7 year old to hang on for grim death on the back of a motor bike is anyone's guess.

So then you can get a learners licence at 16  and have wild consensual sex, thought preferably not while learning to drive, and vote and drink and go to war at 18.

These are all the perks or 'rights' of passage, but what about the responsibilities?

There's the tax man to contend with as soon as you earn a penny, even if that is at the ripe old age of 14 and a few months, and then you have to enrol to vote, I am pretty sure that is the law, and then of course you are eligible to be called for Jury duty. I got called up once and got all excited about it but really it was just  a lot of sitting around. I am surprised that I have never been called again, I would go in a heart beat.

There's the paper work for insurance and bills and registration of all sorts of stuff that require a great deal if dicking around, presumably so the government can keep a close eye on everyone. Just about every move you make as an adult requires some paperwork of some description. SHEEEIT! I hate paper work.

As I am off into the ether next week for a new knee and hopefully a more graceful gait, I know it is necessary to get some more papers in order.

This will be the 4th Will I have written in my life, circumstances change and so paperwork becomes redundant. The Married Will, the Single Woman with child Will, the Property Owner Spousal will, and now, the I've got fuck all, but I could pop my clogs next week so as I like to have the last word, I had better write it down now, Will.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who gave me a Will format for my penultimate go, and so today I just went in and made some adjustments which reflect the changes to my fortune since the last time I had a go. It didn't take too long and I guess with all the gobbly-gook legal speak it should be easily probatable ( is that a word?)

So now I have a few copies which I have to get witnessed and then I am DONE, Yippee!!

I wonder how often other people update their Wills and what sort of mundane paper work we all avoid until the very last minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment